PNG Surfaris / PNG Explorer
Papua New Guinea
PNG Surfaris is the premier live-aboard surf charter operator in Papua New Guinea and all the island groups on the Pacific North facing coast. They have discovered and pioneered more PNG breaks than any other operator in the world.
The Explorer is based out of her home port of Kavieng on New Ireland and ventures to points east and west of this base visiting many different small island chains. The vessel is extremely well equipped with on-board dive compressor, multiple tenders, light game fishing equipment and all the toys to make sure every adventure is first class.
The Explorer comes with a fully qualified crew and all the required safety gear and emergency communications equipment, there is no safer way to surf remote PNG.
The qualified PNG National crew cover everything from dive masters to master fisherman and deck hands. There are 3 active deck crew and two hostesses to ensure that there is always someone on hand to service guest needs at the break. Anything from changing a fin set using the jets ski right through to fresh crisp sheets and towels on-board.
PNG Explorer is a former ASI Shipbuilders vessel that has been retro fitted specifically for surf charters in PNG. She comes with double redundant power generation, dual tenders and on-board jet ski with crane serviced mounting. Navigation is via state of the art electronics all new in 2016.
There are extensive shaded surfboard storage areas and spacious outdoor eating and chill-out areas as well as multiple showers and toilets.
Air conditioned accommodations are available for 10 guests in four twin cabins and two single double cabins..
Food and beverage is run by a qualified chef for the 2017/18 season and features everything from 100% organic produce through to ultra fresh seafood.
- PNG NMSA Survey for 12 guests plus crew.
- Main engine – 3412 turbo caterpillar.
- Power Generation 2 x 4 cylinder Cummins with 37 KVA alternator with 3 and single phase available.
- Water capacity – 8000 litres and onboard 160 LPH water-making capability.
- Fuel capacity – 15,000 litres
- Cruising speed – 9 knots continuous.
- Navigation electronics – PNG Explorer has the latest in Furuno touch screen technology with an inter-phased chart-plotter, autopilot, depth sounder, 6kw radar and satellite compass.
- 1 x HF ICOM IC-M801
- 3 x ICOM VHF base stations. One in the mothership and one in each tender plus 2 x waterproof hand-held VHF units for the jet ski and on deck operations.
- 25 * life-jackets.
- 1 x 25 man SOLAS life raft.
- 1 x EPIRB.
- Plus all the usual flares, rockets etc. so you are safe at the sea!
SURF TRANSFER VESSELS
- 2 x 6 m alloy tender with 130HP Honda 4 stroke outboards.
- Tenders fitted with, VHF, awning, stereo, board racks, rod holders, safety box, life-jackets and first aid kits
- 1 x jet ski
ONBOARD GUEST EQUIPMENT
- 3 x kayaks
- 2 x SUP
- 7 x game fishing sets to cover popping for GTs to trolling for a sailfish.
- 12 x mask/snorkel/fin sets.
EQUIPMENT FOR HIRE
- Dive tanks, weights for divers, BCD & Regs for 4 divers.
- Laundry service
- 240 V / 50hz Australian standard electrical sockets.
- Interior lounge area with entertainment system.
- On-board movie and music archive.
- Satellite phone (check with crew for rates)
- Dive compressor and diving equipment for 2 divers. Guest divers must be certified and have adequate dive insurance (we recommend DAN Asia Pacific)
- Easy access stern with oversized duckboard to allow fast entry in and out of tenders.
- Large shaded storage areas for surfboards.
- Huge undercover day bed on ships bow deck.
- Upper deck outdoor dining area with roll down weather protection.
- Upper deck barbecue area.
Surf & Seasons
The northerly swell season runs from around October to May producing some world-class breaks that can be surfed on any tide. The surf is generally not as powerful as other regions in the world but you can certainly get solid, challenging and even shallow breaking waves depending on your choice of reef break.
Points, reefs, beaches, slabs, heavy, mellow, long short, new surprises and old favorites we have it all! The surf resource in PNG is beyond compare due to the unique world leading Surf Management Plan put in place by Andy Abel and The Surfing Association of Papua New Guinea. The human impact on the surfing experience and the environment has been carefully considered and managed to ensure all stakeholders from surfers and operators right through to traditional custodians are looked after in a sustainable manner.
Crowds that impact the surf experience in other countries do not exist in PNG and there are many new waves waiting to be surfed. The U1 can access virtually any surf zone in the country. Everyone at PNG Surfaris is a dedicated life-long surfer and the main focus is to get as much surf time as possible for every guest on all the expeditions.
Diving is possible on board PNG Explorer. Because of the remote nature of operations the P & I insurance requires all divers to have a current dive certification card (PADI, NAUI, SSI) and the correct insurance to make sure they are covered for emergency evacuation and a decompression chamber.
” You made our trip so much better! We would have been lost without ya’ll! Mmmm… good food. Good people. Good waves. Love this place! It will always be in my heart and soul.”
- All meals and snacks on-board
- Drinking water. Potable water is available on all decks of the vessel for guests to fill their complementary stainless steel expedition bottles.
- Use of snorkeling gear, fishing gear, SUP, and kayaks
- Surf transfers and fishing (a small surcharge will apply for lost lures)
- Airport – Harbour transfers and meet and greet in Kavieng
- Alcohol – beers and wines
- Soft drinks
- Photo package
- Sat phone use – AUD$3.50 per minute (1 min increments)
- Diving – AUD$60 per dive
- PNG Surfaris T-shirt – AUD$50 each
NASA fee: AUD$12 per surf day per surfer (9 days on our 10 night charters) = Total AUD$108 per surfer.
SAPNG fee: AUD$50 per surfer (once off fee per surf season).
NASA recognizes that the communities who live in areas close or adjacent to surf breaks are custodians of the marine environment. Under PNGs unique surf management plan system, NASA collects a levy from visiting surfers which is then dispersed between the resident communities and NASA.
NASA uses the fees for local area surfing development programs, including but not limited to member equipment needs, national and international competition participation, training programs and club facilities.
Fees payable are AUD$12 per surfer per day payable to NASA. In addition to the NASA Fees, there is a once only Surfing Association of Papua New Guinea (SAPNG) levy of AUD$50 per visiting surfer to New Ireland. PNG Surfaris is an endorsed corporate member of NASA and SAPNG. To understand more about PNGS world leading Surf Management Plan visit www.sapng.com
*As of 14 July, 2016 tourists are able to obtain a free 30 day tourist visa on arrival in Port Moresby .
- Our PNG Explorer charters require a minimum of 10 surfers for sole use. Our maximum number on-board is 10 guests. (Sole-use with fewer than 10 is possible. See rates above.)
- Non-surfing partners’ and friends are welcome to join the charter – non-surfing rates are the same as surfer rates but with no surf fees.
- Booking of individuals and groups of 7 or less are welcome i.e. non sole use.
- A non-sole use charter booking may expect up to 10 surfers on-board.
- Bookings will be held for an individual/ group for a limited time (maximum 7 days) without confirmation by the way of confirmed names & deposits.